Thursday, April 23, 2015

How is MRSA diagnosed?

The first step in diagnosing MRSA is noticing that an infection is present. This infection may appear as an abscess (a tender mass, surrounded by pink or red coloring of the skin), surrounding a wound, where there's pus, or could present as sepsis (systemic infection). Signs of infection include redness, tenderness, presence of pus, swelling and warmth. Once an infection is found, antibiotics are usually given to fight the bacteria causing the infection. If the infection persists and does not make any improvements, a sample of fluid from the area will be tested to see if MRSA is present. 
What a MRSA infection may look like: 
                                 
For more details about how the swab is tested, take a look at this website: 

Certain laws require hospitals to do routine screening for MRSA upon admittance, and/or before discharge. This screening is not to find an active MRSA infection, but to see if patients are carriers of MRSA. As we talked about previously, many people carry MRSA on their skin, or in their nose and it's completely harmless. However, the screening is done to prevent transmission of MRSA to people with weakened immune systems, pregnant patients, or to yourself through a surgical wound for example. This website explains what one hospital (UCSF Medical Center) does with the knowledge from a routine MRSA swab. 

Here's a great video showing how a swab from your nose is used to find MRSA: 

References: 
MRSA Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - MRSA Infection Diagnosis - eMedicineHealth. (n.d.). Retrieved April 23, 2015, from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mrsa_infection/page7_em.htm
MRSA Testing. (n.d.). Retrieved April 23, 2015, from http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/mrsa_testing/

3 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I panicked when I saw the first sore. The medicines couldn't heal the sores completely, my whole life I was entirely desperate. Till I found the natural permanent cure for herpes through Nze Njoku Herbal Home, I felt like I was born-again. You can get rid of herpes from now on, too
    Reach Nze Njoku Herbal Home on
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did what a lot of people do when they want to know more about something. I googled it. I came across Dr ITUA herbal medicine on YouTube so many people thanking him about his good work. My son was epilepsy patent. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my son epilepsy status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Itua for everything he have done for my Son ,after my son taking Dr Itua Herbal medicine my son was completely free from epilepsy within 2 weeks of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp Number..+2348149277967 for help also if you are suffering from the list of disease below...Herpes Virus,Epilepsy,Genital Wart,Autism,Cold Sore,Hiv/Aids,Infertility(Finding it difficult to conceive) Or Man Infertility,

    ReplyDelete