Saturday, April 11, 2015

What do the statistics say?


According to the Center for Disease Control, MRSA infections are on the decline. Although MRSA still poses a threat in both healthcare settings and the community, it is encouraging to look at some statistics that show progress in fighting the infection. 


"Invasive MRSA infections that began in hospitals declined 54% between 2005 and 2011, with 30,800 fewer severe MRSA infections. In addition, the study showed 9,000 fewer deaths in hospital patients in 2011 versus 2005." 
(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 30 Apr. 2014. Web. 11 Apr. 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/tracking/index.html>)                                    

Although data shows improvements in the rate and outcomes of MRSA infections, we still want to know how to resist getting an infection. So, who should be especially careful? Well, for hospital acquired MRSA, the National Institute of Health states that the elderly, patients receiving dialysis, those with venous catheters, or weakened immune systems are especially susceptible. As far as community acquired MRSA (which has only been a problem since the 1990's), people who have close skin-to-skin contact are at a higher risk, as well as children. The NIH recommends paying close attention to things like small scratches, or bug bites to note any signs of infection early on. Research is continuously being conducted to find more patterns and insight into why some people get MRSA and others don't. Interestingly, high outbreaks have occurred in Alaska, Georgia and Louisiana, although the reasons are unknown. Another study found that there was a seasonal increase in community MRSA in the late summer (especially in children)and an increase in hospital MRSA in the winter which they guessed may be due to shifts in the way antibiotics are prescribed.

Here's a video that provides some great information on MRSA and BONUS, although the content may make some squeamish at least the music is rather meditative.
 






Resources: 
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 30 Apr. 2014. Web. 11 Apr. 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/tracking/index.html>.

"American Journal of Epidemiology." The Changing Epidemiology of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus in the United States: A National Observational Study. Web. 11 Apr. 2015. <http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/177/7/666.long>.

"Antimicrobial (Drug) Resistance." Transmission, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, Antimicrobial Resistance. Web. 11 Apr. 2015. <http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/antimicrobialResistance/Examples/mrsa/Pages/transmission.aspx>.

3 comments:

  1. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Phytotherapy.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp ... 2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    Hepatitis
    Lung Cancer
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I panicked when I saw the first sore. The medicines couldn't heal the sores completely, my whole life I was entirely desperate. Till I found the natural permanent cure for herpes through Nze Njoku Herbal Home, I felt like I was born-again. You can get rid of herpes from now on, too
    Reach Nze Njoku Herbal Home on
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete